16 June 2010

The Bag of Special Papers.

Caleb, like his father before him, is physically pained at the idea of throwing anything away. Today there were tears when I tossed a mailed Kmart ad featuring Toy Story 3 into the recycling bin. I'm afraid that I have inadvertently encouraged this pack-rat behavior by allowing him to have what has been known as The Bag of Special Papers since he started preschool last fall.

You can imagine the kind of treasures this bag contained: uncolored scraps of paper from primary on Sundays (who wants to color when you can talk to ten different people all at the same time?!), instructions from toy packages, pictures of toys he likes from mailers, smashed Froot Loops glued to a page...

But. You may have astutely noticed the past tense there in discussing the contents of The Bag of Special Papers. This is because I directed a super-cleansing of his room the other day and then usurped total control (rightly, I might add) when we came to The Bag. Ah, the deep inner cleansing that accompanied The Bag cleansing! It was beautiful.

Another perk: the much-loved talking birthday cards from nearly half a year ago resurfaced from the depths of The Bag. One card in particular is currently in bed with said child: the card (from Aunt Erin and Uncle Ben) that plays some part of the Star Wars theme song--though a little wearily after so much use.

Ever since the card reappeared, I have had no trouble locating my offspring since he plays the card nonstop. This morning, as I turned off the shower, I was unsurprised to hear the card getting louder and louder as Caleb approached*. We've been working on granting naked people a modicum of privacy**, however, so I was pleased that the door stayed shut. The song continued to get louder, though--because he slid the opened card under the door for me to enjoy.

When the song ended, he grabbed the card back and scampered off. I heard a door shut and thought, "Yes! I can dry myself off without having to answer questions about my anatomy! Blessed peace!" But then I heard the familiar strains of Star Wars again--because Caleb had closed himself into the bathroom closet and again slid the card under the door (because surely I wanted to hear that song again).

He is a delight. And I marvel at how long the batteries for those things last.

*Do anyone else's children find it necessary to locate their naked and dripping mother as soon as the water for the shower turns off? Every day of their blessed lives? Anyone?

**Total privacy being obviously totally out.

5 comments:

  1. I have already committed to attempting to use the phrase "modicrum of privacy" at least three times in the next week. Especially since Lily seems to have some kind of sensor for any time I attempt to find some peace and quiet in the bathroom or shower. I feel your pain. But the card story is about the funniest thing I've ever heard! Such a thoughtful fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that little boy! You made my day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that he slid the card under the door for you to enjoy. So Caleb.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every single day. Ethan and Jamie both are very good at it! And any time I lock the bathroom door for a little bit of privacy, Jamie and Ethan both wail loudly. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I found your blog! I hope that doesn't invade on your privacy either!!! I was going through my list of permission people on my blog and seeing who to cut... then realized you can click on people's profiles... and lo and behold... I saw yours and that you have a blog (perfect title, I might add!) and yes... Ellie seems to run right in the room as I am getting out of the shower too! Marcus has her trained on his own privacy, though, which is probably good. I, on the other hand, am a little slow to do that still. And I think you should keep your dish-rags... with all the expenses in the world, if they're clean and do the job, why not keep them?! I laughed and smiled much as I have read through many of your posts and caught up... I can hear your voice and I love it! I also laughed very hard reading this episode with Caleb... I can see him doing it, and that makes me smile, b/c that means he's the same sweet, fun, curious, and hilarious Caleb. I also liked your "keeping it real-blog notice," as more blogs need that reality. Ours, on the other hand, needs to be stamped "sugar and spice cheese" as I tend to get overly zealous about my blogging subject at hand and share innermost and often cheesy- dramatic excitements with the world. We miss you guys!... so much! So, did you realize the temperature here and drop the idea of visiting? Probably a good idea during pregnancy... but our home is still open if you're ever wanting to be in town! Ellie and I will most likely be up in UT in August or September sometime... Wanna make Salsa?!
    When is your official due date?
    Give each other hugs for us... this was so fun to read tonight - thanks!!! Happy 4th!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete