13 November 2012

Halloween 2012

For Halloween this year, Paul and the kids were the Skywalkers and Yoda. This involved a jumpsuit, a vest, a belt, and boots for Caleb, a dress, a belt, and hairpiece for CC, and pants and Yoda hood for Paul. At one point I found myself seriously considering remaking the vest for Caleb when I thought of a better method, at which point Paul and I had the following conversation:
The Skywalkers and Yoda

Me: It occurs to me that I'm spending stupid amounts of time on something trivial and ridiculous.

Paul: And it's been going on for years.

Hm. I think he might be back to making costumes out of cardboard for himself next year. 

Smiling before he slices Darth Vader in half!
All three of them dressed up as many times as possible. We went to a nearby festival put on by kids that attend a school for troubled youth. It said on the flier that costumes were welcome, so I got the kids decked out and found Paul slipping into the van in my robe with his Yoda hat in tow. Then he was the only adult in a costume at the festival, but--in true Paul form--he didn't care. Cute.

At the school parade.
We also dressed up to go to the costume parade at Caleb's school (and by "we" I mean I put a Halloween shirt on while everyone else was talking about Star Wars). Even though I made CC's costume myself, there was another little girl there wearing nearly an identical costume. I thought about ripping it off her, but I chose to be civil instead.

Double hair for this Leia.
I think Caleb's costume was the most unrecognizable of the three (he insisted on being Luke from Return of the Jedi), unless he had a light saber. 

It was awesome to see how many kids greeted Paul every time he was wearing his costume: "Hey, Yoda!" "Yoda! What's up!" And so on. It must be said that he was a little disappointed that his main contenders in the cool Yoda costume were babies. And it's hard to be cooler than a baby in a Yoda costume.

Ready to go trick-or-treating.
Just today (13 days after Halloween), I was putting up CC's costume and she said to me, "Pincess Leia? Go tick-a-teating?" 

"No, honey," I told her. "We're not going trick-or-treating." 

"Maybe?" she said. "Maybe go tick-a-teating?" 

Best buns.
 (She has also told us that Jesus loves trick-or-treating. So there you go.)

3 comments:

  1. You are seriously the coolest, most talented mom in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolest and most talented? Also creative, and most engaged. This post caused much laughter. The Yodas are just wonderful, especially what they are wearing on their heads. And CC's appraisal of Jesus and trick or treating is also going in the laughter file. Halloween: overblown and weird. The Huffs at Halloween: priceless. O. Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Paul, and that he doesn't care about being different. I mean, Caleb's got to learn that, because not every kid can fit a whole entire skateboard in his mouth. : ) And not every kid has a mom that can whip out those amazing costumes. I LOVE them. Even better than baby yodas. And imagining you ripping off another baby Leia costume. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete