 |
| Joy. |
I do not blame my parents for my lack of coordination/athletic ability. Well, I mean, I blame them genetically, but I don't blame their parenting style. It's not their fault that I spent many, many days of my childhood lying on my bed reading. I had swimming lessons. I had a dance class (until I refused to go back because I kept bonking heads with all the others little girls--this was before kindergarten). I rode my yellow bike all over. I just have no coordination.
 |
| There's hope here, right? |
This has made my life frequently embarrassing. Cue junior high dance class (which all the girls took instead of P.E.). Humiliating. Cue Young Women basketball, in which I had a faulty understanding of the rules of the game and stood in one spot during an entire game (too confused to know where to go) and encouraged one of my teammates to make a basket for the other team. Cue all those times that people are like, "Hey! Let's just get together a little game of ______ here!" and I find myself standing pigeon toed and inadvertently ducking if a ball of any kind appears suddenly (not necessarily near me).
Anyway. In my continuing hopes that such things as coordination and athletic ability can be taught, I'm trying to save Caleb some of that embarrassment, which is why I signed him up for last week's rec center basketball camp (also the motivation behind swimming lessons and soccer).
 |
| Oh, the poor child! Those are my genes! |
It was a hilarious three hours (one a day for three days). Caleb is convinced that he will one day lead BYU's basketball team to an NCAA championship. He should be surprised, then, that I wasn't one of the parents the coach approached and said, "Your kid has some real natural ability! You should really look into x, y, and z." No, I was the one to whom the coach said, "Your son's got a great vocabulary."
 |
| Moves. One of many varieties. |
On the last day of the camp, the coach asked the kids what their favorite part of basketball was. To a kid, they all said, "Shooting." Except Caleb. He said, "Meeting new people!"
In his defense, he did make several baskets, he's got some good dribbling skills, and he's fast. He also has some pretty impressive moves (also constantly in evidence on the soccer field).
My side hurts from laughing so much at this post! So many hilarious things--"your son's got a great vocabulary," impressive moves, "meeting new people," many days spent reading... This is one of your funniest posts ever! Don't you love that our children make such good fodder for blogging?
ReplyDeleteOH Melissa, you should have seen my finesse as I fell backwards while attempting to STAND on roller skate. I wasn't even SKATING! I am still a very definite clutz...I will need to tell you about my experience trying out for dance company in the 8th grade...
ReplyDeleteApparently my grasp of english grammar is also rather awkward as well...
Delete