![]() |
| Little Wild Horse Canyon |
At the beginning of the year, though, Paul and I made a list of all the exciting things we wanted to get done this year:
Item #1: Remove carpet from bathroom. [Check (with an emphatic hallelujah!).]
Item #2: Install drip irrigation. [Not quite check.]
Item #3: Go camping during Caleb's kindergarten testing break. [As of last night, check.]
![]() |
| Being a mountain goat |
| Valley of the Goblins |
Frankly: I was excited to see Goblin Valley, but I was a little disappointed that we weren't going to Arches. I've only been there once, and we didn't even make it to Delicate Arch, which seems like a travesty for a native Utahn.
![]() |
| Junior Ranger! |
![]() |
| Doing a sand angel |
![]() |
| Proof: there was some sleep. |
This morning--after a rather raucous night's sleep--we went to Little Wild Horse Canyon (seven miles from Goblin Valley). Again, I'm a native Utahn. Of my 33.5 years, I've lived 29.75 of them in the Beehive State. Never heard of Little Wild Horse Canyon. Is this a little-known secret? Or am I just not in the loop? Regardless, it was incredible. With a minor amount of necessary climbing, we hiked through this remarkable slot canyon with a one-year-old and a six-year-old. CC rode on Paul's shoulders most of the way, but it was totally doable without a kid carrier.
![]() |
| Little Wild Horse Canyon |
Caleb scaled every available surface.
I only got a little bit claustrophobic at the end**.
It was perfect. I'm so glad that Arches was full.
*Apparently, "Junior Ranger" is another way of saying "Junior Wet Blanket" or "Future Debbie Downer."
**I wasn't sure how much farther the narrows (2-3 feet wide) were going to go on, and I could hear people behind us, which made me feel panicky. After we'd rested for a bit at the wide end, we were heading back to the car (me at a speedy pace to ward off the claustrophobia-induced panic attacks) when--of course at one of the narrowest junctions--we crossed paths with a couple coming the opposite direction. Caleb and I found a part of the path that was about six inches wider than the rest and tried to flatten ourselves against the walls of the canyon so they could pass, but the couple came up close and just stood there, inches away from me.
They were foreigners. They were probably thinking, "What kind of strange ritual is this American engaging in?" or possibly: "Oh, good! Other people! Let's stand close to them in our German way! Guten tag!"
I was thinking, "I can't breathe with you this close to me," and then considering fainting dramatically.
Fortunately, disaster was averted at the last second when Paul decided to make them his new friends by engaging them in conversation, which caused them to stand unnecessarily close to him instead of me. Phew.






That looks awesome. I wish we could have joined you. Though my girls freaking out regularly may have made the experience less-than-copacetic.
ReplyDeleteHa ha! Junior Ranger! Claustrophobia. So hilarious, the way you write about your life. What this means is, now I need to go to Goblin Valley. And we need to party again. My place or yours this time?
ReplyDeleteI was laughing w/ intermittent gasping breaths as I read this post & your post script... you are hilarious Melissa!!!
ReplyDelete