14 May 2010

On pregnancy (#1).



It's now been a whole week since I found out that we're having a baby girl. I've been trying to remain level-headed about it all--ignoring the ultrasound tech's repeated advice to "go shopping!"--but I'm having a bit of a hard time. We've waited what feels like a long time for this baby, and I'm so excited to know what she is that it's hard not to have immediate plans already set in stone for each facet of the coming, say, year.

At the same time, though, I think I've shown remarkable restraint, focusing mainly on practical preparations. Examples:
  • Me: What about cloth diapers? They'd be better for the environment and a lot cheaper, I think.
    Paul: No.
  • Me: What about painting the room a really light purple--like lavender, maybe? I could make some cute curtains, and then the baby wouldn't be overwhelmed with pink.
    Paul: No. I want something gender neutral in case the next baby is a boy. [Why, yes, I did just paint Caleb's room blue...]
  • Me: I've been reading a lot of birthing books, and while I'm having a hard time adopting a whole method's philosophies, I'm thinking about preparing a little better this time to have this baby naturally. Maybe we should take a class?
    Paul: Meh.

So I think it should come as no surprise to anyone that my first preparations for the baby this week consisted of purchasing a little white sweater, a lime green sleeveless dresser, and a bright pink denim jumper with flowers on the bum.

Paul was honestly thrilled by my purchases (success at last!).

P.S. I think she has an exceptionally cute--if disproportionately large--head. Take a closer look:

3 comments:

  1. Her head looks perfect. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHE is beautiful, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have a baby girl :) I love both cloth diapers, and the lavender idea. I also, as usual, miss seeing you and your family.

    ReplyDelete