13 March 2011

Whipping it out.

For reasons I'm not exactly clear on, our church building's mothers' room has a locking door. So far, this means that when I leave sacrament meeting with my crying baby, I invariably cannot get into the mothers' room to change her diaper or nurse her because someone either (a) is inside and has locked the door and will not respond to the person knocking on said door (but is loud enough inside to be heard) or (b) left the door locked when s/he left. $%@*!!!

Last Sunday when I found myself in that frustrating position, I tried a few classrooms, but they were all full, so I went back to the chapel, considered my options, and nursed the baby right there. I would do this regularly if I weren't afraid that I embarrassed some very fine people. And also if my baby didn't wail inconsolably every time she drained the first breast (I don't think babies can count to two*). Maybe I'll do it anyway.

* "There's two boobies, baby! TWO! Every time there's two!" This is what I tell her. I don't think she believes me.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a mom (so take my opinion with a grain of salt), but I do have boobs, and I'm all for whipping it out. When I was in Ghana, all those women totally whipped it out all over the place during church, and there were no moms that had to miss half of sacrament meeting to feed their kids. Also, I have a Relief Society President who totally breast feeds sans cover while conducting relief society. She's kind of my hero. And so are you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it. I see women nursing babies discretely under a blanket all the time in church and folks are waaaaay more conservative here.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nurse wherever you please. There was a mom in our ward who nursed during Sunday School and I felt like cheering her on. I hate being banished every time I have to nurse. Plus the mother's room always smells like dirty diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would someone lock the mother's room? I mean, really! Unless kids and others are always trying to get in there. (I've had that happen!) But that's weird. I've never had to deal with that. Travis encountered women's breasts all the time in his mission (in D.C.) as they'd answer the door while nursing--no cover on either side. :) I'm sure lots of people have mission stories like that.

    I don't like nursing in public* because I have problems staying covered up--the baby always pulls the cover off or I can't see to help him latch on or whatever. So, that's why I don't do it. I had a friend tell me she always nurses her babies in relief society and wonders why more moms don't do it. I know I wouldn't be offended by someone nursing in sacrament or in a class.

    You're better than me though. I probably would have gone home to nurse. I've actually done that before too. Sad, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ignore my asterisk as I removed the comment after I realized it was redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had four hands (it's harder for me to nurse in a skirt than in pants because of the balancing act required when switching sides) and if she could be trusted not to cry her pathetic little heart out once she's drained one side, I'd be more likely to nurse in sacrament meeting again. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete