I've been keeping myself very busy lately, performing Essential Tasks such as cleaning the dust off the door panels and organizing the downstairs hall closet (and subsequently my sewing cabinet) and turning at first 100 pounds of tomatoes into salsa and then, after reconsidering, upping that number to 125 pounds* and getting a head start on baby laundry by washing the clothes before they've been dirtied, and so on and so forth. Essential Tasks. Tasks that, were I not 37 weeks pregnant, I would ignore like I do the rest of the time.
Anyway, all this is to highlight the High Importance of the Essential Task which I completed today. Years ago, when we started planning on having baby #2**, I decided to make Caleb a doll that he could practice parenting with while I tended to the live baby. I found a pattern (Simplicity 2809, if you're interested), bought the fabric, cut it out, and (rather amateurishly) embroidered a face over a series of months, taking my time. And then, when nothing continued to happen, I became petulant and put the project away.
To cut to the chase, I finished the baby doll today.
The hair is a wig I made out of a remnant of cuddle fleece (infinitely better, I think, than the three strands of yarn the pattern suggested) (also, the picture makes the hair look reddish, but it's about the color of wheat). I also made two diapers for the doll so that it can have diaper changes, too, when Baby Sister does. I'll likely make another outfit before the week is over if my energy holds. It isn't professional, but I'm pleased (and so, incidentally, is Caleb). And hopefully it will save the real Baby Sister some abuse.
*Are you our neighbor? Want to guess what your Christmas neighbor gift will be this year?
**When I still held the mistaken belief that I would get pregnant just as easily as a drunk teenager in the back seat of a car.


Aaaack! It's SO cute!!!! (typing just doesnt' do justice to the voice inflection here.) I want one! This would be perfect for my baby lap sit story times!
ReplyDeleteNesting is an amazing phenomenon. To wit: Tessa need not worry about her clothes being unclean either, as hers too have been pre-washed. Also, the laundry room is now immaculate because Lolly felt compelled to get on her hands and knees and clean that sucker up.
ReplyDeleteI, on the other hand, don't nest. Instead my Essential Task involves eating vast amounts of ice-cream. Perhaps in preparation for an post-apocalyptic scenario where my offspring will have to subsist on the consumption of my excess flesh? Not sure.
that's so cute!! I wish I knew how to sew, LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteHi! I found your blog :) Hope you don't mind.
I love that doll... Caleb is so blessed to have such a super and beautiful mother!!!! And I feel honored to have taken part in that 100 lbs. of salsa canning. (We loved seeing you guys! - and mourn our loss of living closer to you still!!! thanks for all the hard work and fun seeing you!!!)
ReplyDeleteBarb--Thanks. :) It was fun to make (once I got over feeling petulant).
ReplyDeleteJosh--Gross. I don't think filial cannibalism is the root cause of your ice cream consumption. Good try, though.
Danielle--Welcome! :)
Catherine--I loved seeing you, too! And THANK YOU for being my partner in those 100 lbs of salsa!